Monday, October 22, 2007

Trekkie Girl: "Set Phasers on Stun!"

by Shree

Weapons! I have always been fascinated by weapons. I started collecting them from a fairly young age. I got a bow and arrows for Christmas when I was about 12 years old. Later on, I would go to the little weapon stores in the mall & buy whatever I could including a small knife that was disguised as a pen and various metal keychains that sort of resembled brass knuckles. I've bought swords, daggers and axes at fairs. One of my favorites is a midieval flail.

Guns were the best though. I shot my dad's guns whenever I got a chance. I was so excited when I was old enough to buy my own. My first gun was a tiny little .22 Jennings semi-automatic. I call it my James Bond gun. The coolest to shoot is my MAC-11. The biggest is the AR-15 but I think my favorite will always be a good old fashioned revolver. I love guns!

I was thinking recently about today's weapons compared to what we might have in the future. The possibilities are endless! On the big screen, some movies set in the future use weapons similar to today's, such as in Aliens and Serenity. Star Wars uses a lot of both kinetic and energy weapons, while Star Trek seems to use mostly energy weapons.

Which is better? Both have their pros and cons, I'm sure. It would be interesting to shoot a phaser. Although I think it would be hard to compare that to the first time I shot a revolver. I would miss the heavy, cold, hard steel, the strong kick-back and the BOOM! I admit it would be fun to play with a phaser and experiment with it. I would try using it to cook pop-tarts and weed the garden, just as much as I would use it to shoot stuff. From what I saw in the show I always wondered if I could dodge the phaser blast, as slow as it seems to go. I also thought it was funny how they would brace themselves before they shot, like there was this huge kick-back from the phaser discharge. Then again, it would be nice to not worry about running out of ammo and misfiring. Star Trek's weapons could be the solution to a lot of problems.

Kinetic verses energy weapons- are both needed to keep the peace? In your idea of a perfect world, which would be used? Personally I just like things that go BOOM!

Comments